Monday, August 16, 2010

Week 1 of Two A Days Complete!

Wow! What a long week of many mixed emotions! I'm completely exhausted physically from volleyball and mentally from all the new things Coach is teaching us, and terribly homesick!

Sunday started with Kolt and Mom coming over at about 9 AM to go to the College Ward at 11 AM. It was an interesting ward, but some not so serious lessons, but I was really excited to offer to play the piano..thanks to Mom and Dad. I really like playing the piano, especially the hymns. There's something about the hymns that always bring peace. During the block, I talked to the bishop (who is looking for a new Relief Society Presidency and pianist I believe). Kolt also was able to pass the sacrament. I'm so happy he is worthy to hold the priesthood and perform such sacred duties. After church, we ate dinner, and then said goodbye to Kolt and Mom. It was so hard, but they left before a team meeting at 6. At the meeting, we ate dinner with the soccer teams and played ultimate frisbee. Afterwards we got team binders, which has Coach's theories and strategies. The homesickness struck hard that night, just thinking about being without my family. I have definitely learned there is nothing like family.

Each day this week has been similar except for Monday. At 6 AM on Saturday, we met at the gym to condition. We ran a lot and did lots of different things. At one point of the practice, I got really light headed, and while waiting for my partner to run, I went over to the garbage and immediately threw up. I was so lightheaded that I couldn't even see. I'm such a wimp I know, but I made it over to the line to begin the next run, and Coach told me I couldn't run because I was so green colored on my face. I went and got a drink and did make it back to run again afterwards, but I heard about how green I was for quite a while!

Everyday we meet at 7:30 for breakfast at the cafeteria. All the meals have been really pretty good and free, so I can't complain. We then go right over to the gym for practice at 8:30 for three hours. After practice, we go back to lunch at the cafeteria at noon. We then use that time to shower or nap or rest. I've done some of all of that depending on the day. At 2:30, we practice again for three hours. Finally, we are done for the day! Some practices have felt like forever, but overall I have done really well! After Saturday afternoon's practice, Coach came over and showed me the stats he had taken, and I have topped the charts in passing and hitting! I was so happy! It sure helps to know I'm doing really good when I'm so homesick and wondering why I'm here. But knowing that I'm doing well and making a significant impact on this team helps me remember why I'm here. He gave me the name of the Silent Attacker, and said he was going to adjust something on my swing, but siad he didn't want to mess it up, since I'm the best right now!

We've done some team activities at night: on Thursday, we did a really fun ropes course taught by some guys who work at the school. We had to walk across a thick rope and cross other people. We also played a game where I was the only one who could talk and tell people how to complete the task of putting a ball strung across a rope into a basket. Coach did that because I'm so quiet, but I did it and so that's helped me be more vocal! I get along with the girls really well. Of course, Coach calls this the honeymoon stage, where everyone is on their best behavior! So it could flip a switch at any time!

I have been really pretty homesick this week though. Thursday and Friday, we were able to go to Makayla's parents house. It was so nice to be there, even though they are still moving into their apartment. There is something special about a family. Eating dinner together as a family and family prayer. I miss that very much! I sure love hearing from family. I love you guys and didn't really how much family makes a home! If you ever want to come and visit or just give me a call or email or text, please do! It really makes me day. Love you all!

No comments: